www.whoateallthepies.tv
Now I will let you know how I got from the last web site to this one...there is a link believe it or not!
First let me pause to smile over the best web site name EVER..... Who ate all the Pies..... ha ha ha
okay moving on. I was listening to a tape (see post below) and Olivers Army was on, what a great song, but alas, it is now stuck in my head and only one little bit......
"With the boys from the Mersey and the Thames and the Tyne" and the following part thats the bit stuck in my head.
But there's 2 things that struck me about this song...
1: check out the second verse, yes there is the "N" word, did they bleep that out when it was on the radio in 1979? Yes, 1979 ladies and gentlemen... am I that old?
Okay I digress..... the second thing was theres songs about the Tyne, I do believe Gazza recorded (badly I might add) "Fog on the Tyne" which I presume was a song before he butchered it.... in his defense he was a football player NOT a singer!!! And yes I am that old that I remember when he was good!
Of course there's the wonderful "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey" but no songs about the Thames! Not that I can think of, why is that? Capitol city...big river... bizarre!!
But then I started thinking about "Ferry 'cross the Mersey" which I LOVE!! Why, I wonder do Liverpool FC sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" instead of "Ferry 'cross the Mersey"???
And that's when I stumbled upon the aforementioned Who Ate All The Pies!!!!!!
Simple eh??? :)
So I found a Billion sites with football chants, some are hilarious, some a bit rude, be warned Mummie!! My fav? Of course the ever popular FAT BASTARD chant...... but I do like "You Dirty Northern Bastards" ha ha ha
I will never forget standing in the Kop with God know hows many people singing that song, that's" You'll Never Walk Alone", not You Fat Bastard! It was one of the last games before it became all seating.... amazing atmosphere.
Theres nothing like it, hard to explain, especially over here. Also witnessed, although not in the same capacity, watching England v Brazil in the World Cup some years ago..... Remember Sarah??? What a night!!!! It was then I first heard the Fat bastard chant, sung to a Brazilian who had no idea what everyone was on about LOL Then the Fat Bastards beat us and out we went.... SIGH. Should be used to it by now!!!
So anyway I did find out why Scousers (not to be confused with the true Dirty Northern Bastards aka the Scum aka man u!!!) sing "You'll Never Walk Alone"..... bare with me
Picture the scene, it's 1963 and Gerry and the Pacemakers have recorded the song (The most popular version ever) and it stays at Number 1 for 4 weeks. At Anfield they would play the top ten, with number 1 shortly before the kick off. The crowd sings along with Gerry for four weeks, and when it finally gets knocked off the top spot they carry on singing, over the top of the new number one! And a legend is born! Thanks Gerry!!! The song that knocked it off? "She Loves You" the Beatles!!
Stick with me, I'll tell ya stuff! :)
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Web Site of the Day
Posted by Soupie at 7:56 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment